Thursday, December 23, 2010

And so it ends...

Well... things happened pretty quickly. We were told that first time moms NEVER have labors shorter than 4-8 hours and that 99% of the time it takes 12-24 hours. "Stay at home as long as you can" was the mantra. We hereby call bullshit!

Here's our story...

9:45AM: We came back from a scheduled doctor's appointment and Sarah was having some mild erratic contractions. - Nothing bad at all said Sarah.

10AM: We sat upstairs and started to do some work. Sarah works from home, and it was conveniently my telework day. The contractions were starting to make Sarah get out of her chair and coming very fast. I called her sister and started timing them.

10:15AM: Sarah’s sister Jenny arrives and the contractions are 3 mins apart and lasting 1 min. They are taking Sarah to her knees. We decide if it they continue for an hour, we’ll call our doctor.

11:00AM: Contractions are 2:30 apart and lasting up to 90 secs. I call the doctor and he tells us to bring her back to the office. Sarah is not a happy camper in the car.

11:10AM: We get Sarah to the doctor’s office, they take a glance at her as I tell the doctor how far the contractions are apart. He tells us to head to Holy Cross triage.

11:20AM: Sarah is screaming in the waiting room while I sign some forms. Jenny rubs her back and does her best to ease Sarah’s increasing panic.

11:21AM: I think Sarah was scaring the other patients because we get moved to triage pretty quickly. Jenny can’t come with and Sarah and I are doing our best to figure this out with very little build up. The nurses were great and give me some immediate tips to help her work through it. I’ve never seen such pain in anyone’s eyes and without the nurses, I would have lost it. We ask for the epidural while a nurse checks Sarah out.

11:33 AM: Out of triage and in the delivery room. The doctor is 20 mins away and we both cling to hope of the epidural. The nurses try to get an IV and take Sarah’s blood but she is screaming and wailing. After a few attempts in between contractions, they get it in and try to tape it up. Sarah is sweating so much that the tape won’t stick and I’m hoping the anesthesiologist makes it. Hell, I’m hoping the doctor makes it, this kid is coming.

11:45 AM: I learn there will not be an epidural and decide to keep this information to myself. We’re trying to keep Sarah from pushing as the baby is ready but we’ve got no doctor. Jenny has my iphone/camera and I ask the nurses to go get her.

11:55 AM: Sarah is in agony and the doctor finally makes it. He lets us know were ready to go and relays some instructions on pushing, the process etc. Jenny and I have a good setup going. Jenny takes below the equator, I work on getting Sarah through.

12:20 PM: Time to start pushing. Sarah has found a second wind and we get a good rhythm going. That girl’s got HEART.

12:25 PM: We can see the head. Every round of pushing and she comes closer to entering the world. Sarah is doing great. I can’t believe this is happening. Surreal.

12:48 PM: Lucy Rose O’Grady is born with a short “whaah!” She’s amazingly alert and tracking Sarah and me as they put her on Sarah’s chest. Her eyes darting back and forth. Everyone is crying. Simply amazing and I’m sure the closest thing to a miracle I’ll ever witness.

No comments:

Post a Comment